The history of Columbus Hall began with the enactment of a bill by the state legislature to found the Mississippi Industrial Institute and College at Columbus, Mississippi, on March 12, 1884. Among those who were instrumental in the chartering of the institute were as follows: Senator John McC. Martin, Col. W. H. McCardle, Dr. G. S. Roudebush, Mrs. Annie C. Peyton, and Mrs. John C. Hastings. John McC. Martin of Port Gibson was responsible for the introduction of the bill which sought to "secure an institution for the broader and higher education of Mississippi women." The city of Columbus offered approximately $100,000 in grounds, buildings, and bonds in order to secure the location of the new College (Rowland 1925, 225-226). The new institute opened on October 22, 1885 (Figure 11) as the "first state supported college for women in the United States." The central focus of the college was to provide a "literary education" for women and a locale where young women could receive training as teachers, dressmakers, and milliners, without limiting their studies to the "traditional finishing school curriculum." The college's first president was Richard W. Jones (McLemore 1973, 627).
Library of Congress Subject Headings
Mississippi University for Women--Student housing--Designs and plans; Dormitories--Designs and plans; Dormitories--Decoration--Designs and plans; Interior decoration rendering--Technique; Buildings--Conservation and restoration
Department, Program, or Center
School of Art (CIAS)
Shinn, Melody, "The contemporary development of a historical building" (1993). Thesis. Rochester Institute of Technology. Accessed from
RIT – Main Campus